In this lesson I wanted to share a few techniques on how to pose a Newborn to capture the classic hands under the chin look. Most of you reading this have probably seen this pose and maybe even tried to capture it yourself.
It’s Not EASY!
What I mean is that most newborns that are under 2 weeks old are very weak and unless you get very lucky…they can’t support themselves. That’s were some creative photography comes in and a little help.
Here’s a few tips that will make this shot a little easier to capture.
1. Always try to capture this shot within days of having the baby…not weeks.
2. Make sure the baby is fed just before you start
3. Allow the mother to get the baby to sleep (Patience)
4. Make sure to use soft blankets to create a soothing environment
5. Take extra time to warm the blankets and room of the shoot
Bonus Tip: Putting the blankets in the dryer for a few minutes just before will also help the baby feel warm and soothed. Remember…the baby is only days old and was just in the mother’s womb. We need to recreate that feeling and comfort.
Now…I know this seems like a lot of things to do before you even get started taking any pictures…but it will go much smoother if you do. Trust Me
OK…the next step now is to make sure you have all your equipment ready so once the baby is in place…you are too.